Steeped in tradition, the International au Lac has been in family hands since 1906 and is the only lakeshore hotel in the historic centre of Lugano to have its own parking garage, garden and swimming pool. It had the honorary title "Historic Hotel" bestowed on it by the ICOMOS jury of UNESCO in 2007 and is now a listed building. Although it has consistently modernized in line with the changing needs of its guests, it has forfeited none of its old world charm.
The Art Nouveau style hotel stands on a hill in Flüeli-Ranft, the workplace of the holy brother Klaus von Flue. The house was renovated for more than 2 years in compliance with national monument protection criteria, reopened in December 2011 and has now 83 rooms available equipped with the latest amenities. The restaurant "Veranda" with its picture window provides a clear view of the Sarneraa Valley and Glaubenberg ("faith mountain"). Culinary choices range from Obwalden to Swiss specialties.
Schwyz as the capital of the eponymous canton and the source of Switzerland's name is steeped in myths. The Old Town and the local museums mirror the history of the Confederation. According to legend, the city was founded by two Alemannic brothers.