The "Öpfelchammer", endearingly called "Oeli", is the Number One meeting place for everybody. It was also Gottfried Keller’s restaurant of choice and it is Zurich’s oldest and most authentically preserved tavern. To this day the old traditions of a wine restaurant are honored with the famous Balkenprobe, or beam test. The “Oeli” also has its own “laws”.
Peter Schmid, an apothecary from the Valais, purchased this guildhall in 1315 and in 1385 sold it to the linen weavers and milliners. Die Waag (the carters’ guild) is one of the seven old Zurich guilds which still has its own guildhall.