The medieval castle above the town of Thun is a striking focal point at the entrance to the Bernese Oberland region. This almost completely preserved symbol of power contains the Knights' Hall, one of the few surviving halls of its type from the Middle Ages.
Schadau Castle was built between 1846 and 1854 for the Neuchâtel banker Denis Alfred de Rougemont. The location of the castle, on the southern banks of Lake Thun where the River Aare flows out of the lake, and with its views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, is almost as attractive as the architecture itself.
Designed by Adolphe Tièche, the Grand Hotel Thunerhof was opened in 1875 as Thun’s largest hotel. Used as a hotel until 1948, this historic building is now home to the art museum, a café and to part of the Thun city administration.