Ascending one of Central Switzerland's alpine peaks is an easy day trip from Lucerne.
St. Leodegar was founded in the mid-8th century, part of the monastery which in turn founded Lucerne. A Gothic church preceded the existing German Renaissance building, but was largely destroyed by fire in 1633. Only the towers, St. Mary's altar and a few religious objects remain in the existing 17th-century building.
The birthplace, cell and chapel of St. Nicholas of Flüe, "Brother Klaus", is located 45 miles northeast of Lucerne near the small town of Flüeli.