Old cantonal school

Old cantonal school

The cantonal school in Aarau, founded in 1802, was the first secular grammar school in Switzerland. Different architectural jewels, including the Tuchschmidhaus that represents the language of shapes of the German Renaissance, are gathered...more

Miroiterie

Miroiterie

A symbol of the avant-garde, the La Miroiterie commercial building is located in the centre of the Flon platform directly in front of the main square. It is clad in cushion-like, translucent membrane that is illuminated at night. This makes the...more

SeneCasita Gais

SeneCasita Gais

The Gais building project, by the renowned architectural firm Frei...more

Markthalle Färberplatz

Markthalle...

This market hall is located in the area of the Hapsburg city expansion...more

Old cantonal school

The cantonal school in Aarau, founded in 1802, was the first secular grammar school in Switzerland. Different architectural jewels, including the Tuchschmidhaus that represents the language of shapes of the German Renaissance, are gathered together in this school, which was attended by Albert Einstein. Between 1914 and 1916 it was supplemented by a neo-classical wing and an observatory.

Old cantonal school
Zoom map

Miroiterie

A symbol of the avant-garde, the La Miroiterie commercial building is located in the centre of the Flon platform directly in front of the main square. It is clad in cushion-like, translucent membrane that is illuminated at night. This makes the building appear lighter than air while allowing the daylight to shine through. The wall-less floors are supported by a visible, oblique steel structure.

Miroiterie
Zoom map

SeneCasita Gais

The Gais building project, by the renowned architectural firm Frei Architekten AG in Aarau, boasts a distinctive longitudinal building, the SeneCasita Gais, as well as a residential and a commercial building. The facades are decorated with glazed concrete and feature windows of large dimensions, irregularly positioned on the SeneCasita building.

SeneCasita Gais
Zoom map

Markthalle Färberplatz

This market hall is located in the area of the Hapsburg city expansion of the 14th century. In its inner form it reminds us of the rooms of medieval granaries or arsenals. The closely juxtaposed, lamellar supports create an exciting interplay between an open and simultaneously closed space. The building has been awarded several prizes.

Markthalle Färberplatz
Zoom map