Special Commendation, 2001 for the "loving attention to the historic character of this traditional guesthouse in this beautifully maintained Appenzell village, while respecting contemporary sensibilities".
Special Commendation, 2001: "For the contemporary architectural interpretation of an historic building and for the re-establishment of its role as a public place within the town's social structure".
The castle at Wülfingen was built between 1644 and 1647 by Hartmann Escher. It underwent reconstruction and renovation in 1767. It has operated as a country inn since the 19th century and has been in the hands of the city of Winterthur since 1911.
17 km from Lugano, this hotel is located in the hills of the wild and romantic Malcantone. The Albergo is composed of two typical Ticino houses with a courtyard and beautiful gardens. Some rooms are newly renovated. Small conference room, swimming pool and tennis courts. The restaurant with its Italian cuisine is especially known for homemade pasta, saddle of lamb and game.