Puffing we head on and up in Brienz, while ascending in a second climb from Sörenberg. On the south side with steam since 1892, and aboard large cabins on the mountain railway from the north.
The Giessbach brook tumbles in 14 stages, over a length of 500 meters and out of the high valleys of the Faulhorn area down to Lake Brienz. Historic Grand Hotel Giessbach is located at the foot of this nature spectacle. The hotel is accessible by means of Europe's oldest funicular.
Since the 1970s old farmhouses, stables, bakehouses or barns are no longer demolished when they are due to be replaced by modern buildings. Instead, the buildings are dismantled stone by stone, and rebuilt in the Ballenberg Open Air Museum.