The sanctuary of Madonna del Sasso in Orselina above Locarno is the most famous place of pilgrimage in the Italian part of Switzerland. It is rooted in the ancient tradition of votive gifts.
Even the Romans avoided the immense mass of the Gotthard. The Pass only gained significance around the year 1200, when the Schöllenen Ravine between Göschenen and Andermatt was developed. Today the Gotthard Pass is the most important North-South connection.
Since 1951 the former grammar school at the city park houses around 600 pictures and drawings by Swiss, German and Austrian artists. We owe this to the Winterthur art patron Oskar Reinhart.
The power of water is impressively displayed in the Aare Gorge near Meiringen. Through the course of millennia the river has eroded a deep bed in the limestone. The entire ravine can be effortlessly hiked on foot, thanks to bridges and tunnels.