The hotel has received special mention for "the retaining and restoring of the original public rooms dating back to the late 19th, early 20th century, as well as the high-quality standards of the overall overhaul of the traditional Hotel Schweizerhof in Luzern.
Special Commendation, 2001 for the "loving attention to the historic character of this traditional guesthouse in this beautifully maintained Appenzell village, while respecting contemporary sensibilities".
The castle at Wülfingen was built between 1644 and 1647 by Hartmann Escher. It underwent reconstruction and renovation in 1767. It has operated as a country inn since the 19th century and has been in the hands of the city of Winterthur since 1911.