Up until 1797, Aarau possessed the first comprehensive jurisdiction of a state. Following medieval custom, verdicts were thus pronounced in the open air, namely in the Rathausgasse (“Town Hall Street”). The sentences were up to the neck, which means there could be beheadings and hangings. To indicate the place where trials took place, the sculptor Hans Henz created the Fountain of Justice for the Rathausgasse in 1643. Today the fountain has pride of place in the Kirchgasse.