The Gotthard area is Europe’s “moated castle”. Over 40 lakes, large and small, glisten like pearls around the Ursern valley – crystal clear, ice cold and rich in fish. The major rivers of the Rhine, Rhone, Reuss and Tessin (tributary of the Po) all rise in the Gotthard massif. There is a 60 km long themed footpath in the Göscheneralp valley, dedicated to the subject of “Worlds of Water”.
The Ursern valley is a hiker’s paradise, while the alpine passes are a challenge for mountain bikers and touring cyclists. Fantastic views of mountains, valleys and glaciers make up for the steep climbs which may even occasionally force you to dismount.
For railway fans, Andermatt is an ideal place for taking a break or an excursion. From Göschenen station on the Gotthard line, the rack-and-pinion Schöllenenbahn climbs steeply up to Andermatt, where it meets the east-west route across the Alps of the Matterhorn-Gotthard line (with the Glacier Express), going towards either Valais or Grisons. Alternatively you can travel from Realp on the nostalgic Furka steam railway. You have to book in advance for an exclusive nostalgia ride over the Gotthard Pass on a traditional post coach, drawn by a five-horse team.
Andermatt is one of the best winter sports centres in Switzerland for guaranteed snow. A cable-car takes skiers and snowboarders in two stages up to the skiing area on the Gemsstock, at nearly 3000 m. The wide open slopes are ideal for experienced skiers, snowboarders and fans of deep snow. There are easier slopes near the Gurschenalp and in the skiing areas of Nätschen (Andermatt) and Realp. With the winter sports pass for the Gotthard-Oberalp region, you can also use the ski area of Sedrun. The "Urserntal" cross-country track (40 km) goes along the River Reuss through fantastic scenery from Andermatt via Hospental to Realp and back.
- Gemsstock – incredible panoramic views from the summit over the heart of Switzerland and about 600 Alpine peaks.
- “„World of Water“ – discover path – a 60 km long themed walk in the Göscheneralp valley, with 90 stopping points with information about water as an element.
- Schöllenenschlucht – a gorge, which legend has it that a bridge could only be built across with the aid of the devil.
- Suworow memorial – huge stone cross cut into the cliff face in memory of the Russian soldiers who fell in 1799 .
- Via Ferrata Diavolo – very attractive and secure fixed rope route, direct next to the famous and historical devils bridge high above the Schöllenen Valley (only open in summer)
- Museums – the Ursern Valley Museum is housed in a beautiful building in Andermatt. While the history of the Gotthard Pass is documented in the Gotthard Museum at the top of the pass.
- Furka steam railway – nostalgic rack-and-pinion steam railway (only runs in summer) between Realp, Furka and Gletsch/Oberwald (Valais).
- Golf Course Gotthard Realp – one of the most alpine golf courses in the world
- Alpine passes Tour – experience the most beautiful passes of central Switzerland in one day:Furkapass,Gotthardpass,Oberalppass, Sustenpass, Nufenenpass, Grimselpass
- Travel environment-friendly – rent an Alpmobil or an E-Bike and explore the region noiseless and environmentally friendly (only summer)
- Ski, Snowboard and Snowshoe: for everyone something, beginners to Freerider will find their own experience
- Summer offer – guided tour through the village, guided expeditions and walks in this amazing nature, guided tour into the dam at lake Göscheneralp, Soapstone courses and much more (June – October)
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Andermatt - Urserntal