'The' excursion mountain - since 1898With a sunny observation deck that remains accessible throughout the year, the Gornergrat at 3,089 metres a.s.l. ranks among the leading excursion destinations. Surrounded by 29 four-thousand metre peaks, by the highest Swiss mountain (Dufourspitze, 4,634 metres a.s.l.) and by the third-largest glacier in the Alps (Gorner glacier), it offers a mountainscape panorama that couldn’t be more overwhelming.
Europe's highest open-air cog railway (only in summer) has its lower terminus next to the station of the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn in Zermatt, from where it climbs the Gornergrat daily every 24 minutes. Across stunning bridges, through galleries and tunnels, idyllic forests, past gorges and mountain lakes. With the Matterhorn continually in the field of vision.
360° Panorama trip to the Gornergrat
A world of remarkable experiencesApart from the overwhelming panorama, don't overlook the extensive offering that exists on the excursion mountain itself. Wonderful walking trails await you in the summer. There are also three different bike routes. And if your energy level starts to flag, simply hop onboard the Gornergrat Bahn again.
In winter, the appealing toboggan run from Rotenboden to Riffelberg is only one of the experiences families should not miss out on. Ski and mogul pistes, a children's ski park and snow-ball fights on winter walking trails are sure to make the pulse of any child quicken. Amidst all the activity, fortify yourself in the various catering establishments (cafes, restaurants etc.) en route, or spend some time in the shopping mall of the 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat.
Be it for the sports-minded, for epicures or quite simply bon vivants – you're certain to find precisely ‘your thing’ on the Gornergrat!
Facts & figures
- First electrical cog railway in Switzerland (1898)
- Highest open-air cog railway in Europe in summer (3,089 metres a.s.l.)
- Europe's highest (2,222 metres a.s.l.) and shortest (468 m) tramway on the Riffelalp
- Gorner glacier, the third-longest glacier in the Alps
- Switzerland's highest hotel: 3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat*** (3,100 metres a.s.l.)
- World-renowned Matterhorn reflection in the Riffelsee (nature reserve of national importance)
- Sub-Mediterranean climate with extraordinary plants
- Railway experience: combination with the world-famous Glacier Express
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Gornergrat Bahn – the matterhorn railway!
Operating times open throughout the year
schedule from Zermatt foe Nov 11, 2011