The location of Zermatt at the foot of the Matterhorn and in the middle of an enormous hiking and ski region makes it one of the world's most attractive vacation villages. The ski region encompasses 63 mountain railways and 360 kilometers of pistes. The region called "Matterhorn glacier paradise" is Europe's largest and highest lying summer skiing region. Numerous national ski teams train here in the summer.
The region is legendary amongst mountaineers: the Haute Route, a challenging international route that takes several days to complete, leads from Mont Blanc to Zermatt. Over 400 kilometers of hiking trails lead through and out of the Matter Valley, including the mule traders' trails, which date back to the 13th century (a part of these paths is paved).
Walking, cycling, climbing and high-Alpine tours are popular activities in summer and autumn. Every year, the four-thousand-metre summits attract many Alpinists. 400 km of walking trails also guide guests who are not overly adept at climbing through the mountainscape around Zermatt.
The cog railway operates between Zermatt and the 3089-metre-high Gornergrat. The summit offers up spectacular views of the Matterhorn, the glaciers and the Monte-Rosa massif.
At 3883 metres in altitude, Europe’s highest vantage point able to be reached by cableway also offers a fascinating panoramic vista of the Matterhorn (4478 metres) and summits of the Swiss, Italian and French Alps. The glacier palace can be admired 15 metres beneath the ice surface. Six ski lifts as well as a cableway provide access to the Matterhorn Glacier Paradise, the highest summer ski region of the Alps on the Theodul glacier.
In winter, the snow-assured ski region offers 360 km of pistes in three varied ski areas: the Sunnegga-Rothorn, Gornergrat-Stockhorn, Schwarzsee and Matterhorn glacier paradise. Snowboarders are able to hone their skills in the "Gravity Park" freestyle fun park in which Olympic hopefuls also train. A crossover to the Italian ski region of Breuil-Cervinia is possible from the Matterhorn glacier paradise / Theodulpass.
Those in search of something different can try their hand at paragliding or off-piste heli-skiing accompanied by an experienced mountain guide.
Child-care is offered throughout the year in the Zermatt – Matterhorn family resort. And everywhere you see the fun loving «Wolli» mascot, children come first! Lamb Wolli accompanies you on the climate theme path, kids under 9 ski for free in the whole region - and whoever wants to ice-skate at the rink, investigate a cheese dairy or hang around in the climbing hall can! Crystal-clear mountain lakes to swim in further entice, adventurous nature days and exciting visits to the Forest Fun Park.
- Gornergrat – a cog railway wends its way up the mountain to an altitude of 3089 metres; a magnificent panorama.
- Matterhorn Museum – houses the items of equipment used during the first ascent of the Matterhorn in 1865 which ended tragically.
- Glacier Paradise / Klein Matterhorn – the highest place in Europe (3883 m) able to be reached by a cableway, with a viewing platform and the highest glacier palace in the world.
- Gorner gorge – a footpath across narrow bridges and steps as well as a fixed rope route guide visitors through the deeply scarped gorge.
- Village of Findeln – original Valais settlement with a small chapel; it has Switzerland’s highest rye crop fields at an altitude of 2100 metres.
- Horu Trophy Zermatt - The Horu Trophy is one of Europe’s largest Open Air Curling-Tournaments (January)
- Swatch Skiers Cup - 16 of the best Freeriders and Freestyler face each other in two teams (February)
- 1st Matterhorn Ultraks – Ski tour races in breathtaking mountain scenery (April)
- Zermatt Unplugged – International stars at the Matterhorn (April)
- Raiffeisen Open - International Tennis Tournament (June/July)
- Matterhorn Eagle Cup – Golf Tournament in the alpine landscape of the Gornergrat region (July)
- Swiss Food Festival – Feasting at the highest level (August)
- Folklore Festival – Grand Folklore Pageant in the Village (August)
- Zermatt Festival – The classical music and arts festival with soloists and ensembles of the Berlin Philharmonics (August/September)
The time is perfect. Experience winter sports at the highest level.
Matterhorn ski paradise is covered with beautiful powder snow right now. Experience the best of winter sports on 360 kilometres of slopes. Europe's longest downhill run awaits you in the best ski region of the Alps. Enjoy the breath-taking mountain panorama and the magnificent winter air together with your friends and family. Spoil yourself in the world's best mountain restaurants with culinary highlights, and enjoy your overnight stay with style and flair in hospitable ambience at the foot of the Matterhorn. Some things you just never forget – so treat yourself to unique moments now!
Zermatt has the perfect offer for every winter wish. Choose one of the attractive packages, discover our hotel package deals, or book your stay direct online.
Zermatt uniques moments
The news presented here is provided and updated by regional/local tourist offices, which is why Switzerland Tourism is unable to guarantee the correctness of the contents.
SBB RailAway leisure shop
Combined offer: journey using public transport and leisure offer (also for existing tickets) to Zermatt
Fresh clean & spectacular mountain.