The Strandbadt (lido) was created in 1929-32 as part of a job creation programme under the auspices of city's planning and building control office. It is one of the first and most impressive examples of pool construction in Swiss Modernist style.
The original Biel town church, consecrated by St. Benedict of Nursia, was first mentioned in 1228 in the Lausanne cartulary (register). For its worldly concerns the town of Biel was under the control of the Bishop of Basel until 1798, whereas ecclesiastically it belonged to the diocese of the Bishopric of Lausanne from 1528 until the Reformation.
The Stadtkirche Biel is appreciated for its well-balanced proportions and the simplicity of the interior.