This restaurant, fitted out with colourful walls in a shiny car paint texture, is everything one expects from unusual and modern architecture. The urban terrace with its 72 seats is unmistakeably inviting.
The project "Bahnhof Aarau" (“Aarau train station”) by architect Theo Hotz was the result of a competition. Architecturally and with regard to urban planning, it forms an important element in the development of the station area. The bright and spacious concourse is the heart of the new station. In addition to the train travel centre, it offers clients a practical range of shops and restaurants.
The Bahnhofstrasse connects the station to the historic city centre. This street is characterised by a number of important buildings. One of these is the newly constructed building that houses the Aargau newspaper, the AZ Medienhaus. The Baden firm Burkard Meyer Architekten gave the six-storey building an elegant glass façade in 2006. The AZ Medienhaus is home to a bookstore, a restaurant, offices and apartments.
Old cantonal school
The cantonal school in Aarau, founded in 1802, was the first secular grammar school in Switzerland. Different architectural jewels, including the Tuchschmidhaus that represents the language of shapes of the German Renaissance, are gathered together in this school, which was attended by Albert Einstein. Between 1914 and 1916 it was supplemented by a neo-classical wing and an observatory.