AZ Medienhaus

AZ Medienhaus

The Bahnhofstrasse connects the station to the historic city centre. This street is characterised by a number of important buildings. One of these is the newly constructed building that houses the Aargau newspaper, the AZ Medienhaus. The Baden firm Burkard Meyer Architekten gave the six-storey...more

Old cantonal school

Old cantonal school

The cantonal school in Aarau, founded in 1802, was the first secular grammar school in Switzerland. Different architectural jewels, including the...more

SeneCasita Gais

SeneCasita Gais

The Gais building project, by the renowned architectural firm Frei...more

Markthalle Färberplatz

Markthalle...

This market hall is located in the area of the Hapsburg city expansion...more

AZ Medienhaus

The Bahnhofstrasse connects the station to the historic city centre. This street is characterised by a number of important buildings. One of these is the newly constructed building that houses the Aargau newspaper, the AZ Medienhaus. The Baden firm Burkard Meyer Architekten gave the six-storey building an elegant glass façade in 2006. The AZ Medienhaus is home to a bookstore, a restaurant, offices and apartments.

AZ Medienhaus
Zoom map

Old cantonal school

The cantonal school in Aarau, founded in 1802, was the first secular grammar school in Switzerland. Different architectural jewels, including the Tuchschmidhaus that represents the language of shapes of the German Renaissance, are gathered together in this school, which was attended by Albert Einstein. Between 1914 and 1916 it was supplemented by a neo-classical wing and an observatory.

Old cantonal school
Zoom map

SeneCasita Gais

The Gais building project, by the renowned architectural firm Frei Architekten AG in Aarau, boasts a distinctive longitudinal building, the SeneCasita Gais, as well as a residential and a commercial building. The facades are decorated with glazed concrete and feature windows of large dimensions, irregularly positioned on the SeneCasita building.

SeneCasita Gais
Zoom map

Markthalle Färberplatz

This market hall is located in the area of the Hapsburg city expansion of the 14th century. In its inner form it reminds us of the rooms of medieval granaries or arsenals. The closely juxtaposed, lamellar supports create an exciting interplay between an open and simultaneously closed space. The building has been awarded several prizes.

Markthalle Färberplatz
Zoom map