"Retreat"

The cultural integration of man in nature is Gloria Friedmann’s (1950) theme. Done in natural materials, her works show strong symbolism and aesthetics. "Retreat" has been welcoming visitors to the Aarau cantonal hospital since 1992. In the park and in many of the buildings there are other fine...more

Government and cantonal parliament building

Government and cantonal parliament...

The central section of the government building was built in 1739. After the canton was founded (1803), the government purchased the house and had...more

Naturama

Naturama

The Naturama Aargau is one of the most modern nature museums in...more

Fountain of Justice

Fountain of Justice

Up until 1797, Aarau possessed the first comprehensive jurisdiction of a...more

"Retreat"

The cultural integration of man in nature is Gloria Friedmann’s (1950) theme. Done in natural materials, her works show strong symbolism and aesthetics. "Retreat" has been welcoming visitors to the Aarau cantonal hospital since 1992. In the park and in many of the buildings there are other fine works by artists such as Balthasar Burkhard, Jürg Stäuble, Ernst Suter, Albert Siegenthaler, Niele Toroni and many more.

Government and cantonal parliament building

The central section of the government building was built in 1739. After the canton was founded (1803), the government purchased the house and had it renovated to become this classical government building complete with lavish staircase. Behind it is the cantonal parliament building. With its theatrical semicircle, this house represents a key work of bourgeois classicism in Aargau.

Naturama

The Naturama Aargau is one of the most modern nature museums in Switzerland.

The Naturama Aargau is one of the most modern nature museums in Switzerland.

Fountain of Justice

Up until 1797, Aarau possessed the first comprehensive jurisdiction of a state. Following medieval custom, verdicts were thus pronounced in the open air, namely in the Rathausgasse (“Town Hall Street”). The sentences were up to the neck, which means there could be beheadings and hangings. To indicate the place where trials took place, the sculptor Hans Henz created the Fountain of Justice for the Rathausgasse in 1643. Today the fountain has pride of place in the Kirchgasse.