The ‘Anniviards’ used to rest with their herds in the settlement of Zinal, with its typical houses made of larch wood, before continuing their journey from the valley up to the high alpine pastures. Tourism has been part of village life in Zinal for 150 years.
The peak of the Weisshorn dominates the mountain landscape round Zinal. At 4506 m, it’s the fourth highest peak in Europe. No wonder that this resort is so popular with mountain climbers! Climbers march for several hours to reach four mountain huts dotted around Zinal, the starting point for climbs to the summit. Zinal also has a 300-km-network of hiking trails for keen walkers, and 150 kilometres of marked routes for sporty mountain bikers.
You can rent children’s equipment, and there is a library, a games hire facility, play- and picnic grounds, climbing garden and swimming pool, making a stay here enjoyable for both the children and their parents. On the Zau Zoura nature trail, old and young alike can learn all about local fauna and flora. You can spy on the alpine animal kingdom through a telescope at the ‘Mirador’ wildlife observation centre near the ‘Tzoucdana’ café-restaurant.
O resort de esqui de Zinal-Sorebois tem neve garantida em grandes quantidades, compreendendo nove teleféricos em altitudes variando entre 1.670 e 2.895m, com 70 quilômetros de pistas, colocadas de encontro a um pano de fundo preenchido pela paisagem de altíssimas montanhas. O terreno de estilo livre próximo aos Gardes de Bordon faz de Zinal um destino popular para o esqui fora das pistas, e o Centro de Treinamento contra Avalanches lhe dará a oportunidade de experimentar uma simulação de avalanche, para que você possa aprender a lidar com esse tipo de acontecimento, evitando provocar situações potencialmente perigosas. Há 19 quilômetros de pistas de esqui nórdico. Um único passe de esqui serve como entrada para as cinco áreas de esqui do Val d'Anniviers: Zinal – Grimentz – St-Luc – Chandolin e Vercorin, com mais de 200km de pistas.
- The ‘La Lee’ copper mine in Zinal: in summer there are accompanied tours inside the only copper mine in Switzerland open to the public along tunnels which extend 500 metres into the mountain.
- Zinal Glacier: the highlight after a two-hour snow-shoe-trekking to the glacier above the village is a walk inside the icy glacier itself.
- Mauler Cup: this paragliding event turns the skies above Zinal into a magnificent colourful spectacle (January).
- Swiss National Holiday, presenting ancient crafts and the Swiss Army Boot Throwing Championship (August)).
- Sierre-Zinal mountain run: world-famous mountain run from the Rhine Valley up to Zinal in the Val d'Anniviers (August).