The Gotthard area is Europe’s “moated castle”. Over 40 lakes, large and small, glisten like pearls around the Ursern valley – crystal clear, ice cold and rich in fish. The major rivers of the Rhine, Rhone, Reuss and Tessin (tributary of the Po) all rise in the Gotthard massif. There is a 60 km long themed footpath in the Göscheneralp valley, dedicated to the subject of “Worlds of Water”.
The Ursern valley is a hiker’s paradise, while the alpine passes are a challenge for mountain bikers and touring cyclists. Fantastic views of mountains, valleys and glaciers make up for the steep climbs which may even occasionally force you to dismount.
For railway fans, Andermatt is an ideal place for taking a break or an excursion. From Göschenen station on the Gotthard line, the rack-and-pinion Schöllenenbahn climbs steeply up to Andermatt, where it meets the east-west route across the Alps of the Matterhorn-Gotthard line (with the Glacier Express), going towards either Valais or Grisons. Alternatively you can travel from Realp on the nostalgic "Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke". You have to book in advance for an exclusive nostalgia ride over the Gotthard Pass on a traditional post coach, drawn by a five-horse team.
Andermatt é um dos melhores centros de esportes de inverno na Suíça quando se trata de neve garantida. Um teleférico leva os esquiadores e snowboarders em duas etapas até a área de esqui de Gemsstock, a aproximadamente 3000 m de altura. As extensas inclinações são ideais para esquiadores experientes, snowboarders e fãs de neve. Há pistas mais fáceis próximas a Gurschenalp e nas áreas de esqui de Nätschen (Andermatt) e Winterhorn (Hospental). Com o passe de esportes de inverno da região de Gotardo-Oberalp, você também pode usufruir a área de esqui de Sedrun. A pista de esqui nórdico de "Urserntal" (40 km) margeia o rio Reuss através de panoramas idílicos por Andermatt, Hospental e Realp.
- Alpine passes Tour by postal bus, oldtimer, car, racing bike or E-Bike – experience the most beautiful passes of central Switzerland in one day: Furkapass, Gotthardpass, Oberalppass, Sustenpass, Nufenenpass, Grimselpass, Lukmanierpass, Klausenpass
- Gemsstock – incredible panoramic views from the summit over the heart of Switzerland and about 600 Alpine peaks.
- Schöllenenschlucht – a gorge, which legend has it that a bridge could only be built across with the aid of the devil. Right beside, there is the Suworow memorial, a huge stone cross cut into the cliff face in memory of the Russian soldiers who fell in 1799.
- Dampfbahn Furka Bergstrecke – nostalgic rack-and-pinion steam railway (only runs in summer) between Realp and Oberwald (Valais), with stops on Furka and in Gletsch.
- 9-hole Golf Course Gotthard Realp – one of the most alpine golf courses in the world and 18-hole Golf Course in Andermatt.
- Museums – the Ursern Valley Museum is housed in a beautiful building in Andermatt. While the history of the Gotthard Pass is documented in the Gotthard Museum at the top of the pass.
- „World of Water“ – discover path – a 60 km long themed walk in the Göscheneralp valley, with 90 stopping points with information about water as an element.
- Ski, Snowboard and Snowshoe – for everyone something, beginners to Freerider will find their own experience.
- Teatro open-air em Gotardo – performances sobre a região do Gotardo acontecem todos os anos a céu aberto (julho)