Kandersteg is characterised by a broad spectrum of accommodation: from 4-star superior hotel to holiday apartments, camping sites through to international scout centre with dormitories there is everything. Several mountain guesthouses and huts belonging to the Swiss Alpine Club in the Lötschberg holiday region provide the basis for several-day mountain tours. Especially noteworthy is the culinary scene – in Kandersteg there are three award-winning restaurants.
With its extensive network of attractive mountain, hiking and walking trails Kandersteg is a paradise for nature and hiking fans. The most famous routes lead across the Gemmi Pass straight to Leukerbad in the Valais, to Lake Oeschinen or through the wildly romantic Gastern Valley and finally over the 2690-metre-high, historically important Lötschen Pass to the Lötschen Valley.
Lake Oeschinen – accessible from Kandersteg by cable car or along a wide, family-friendly hiking trail – not only offers the idyll of a deep blue mountain lake, but also excites with a fast toboggan run. The Allmenalp via ferrata, undisputibly one of the most spectacular in the Alps, is a particular challenge.
Kandersteg é um paraíso de esqui nórdico, onde nunca falta neve. Mais de 50 quilômetros de pistas controladas (clássico e patinagem) ficam disponíveis na superfície do vale e em planaltos ensolarados. Esquiadores de pista inclinada encontrarão exatamente o que procuram no Lago Oeschinen e em Sunnbüel. As áreas de esqui são perfeitas para iniciantes, esquiadores descontraídos e famílias.
O rinque de gelo artificial de Kandersteg é ideal para patinação e curling. Nas cercanias do vilarejo, entre Blausee e o Passo Gemmi, fica a rede de trilhas para caminhantes de inverno. Para os escaladores de gelo, há o Vale Kander, e para entusiastas da pesca, é possível pescar no gelo durante o inverno.
- Lake Oeschinen – wildly romantic mountain lake at the foot of the Blüemlisalp Massif, accessible by a renovated, nostalgia chairlift.
- Blausee – small lake used as a fish farm in the Kander Valley with very clean water which looks deep blue thanks to the refraction of light.
- Gastern Valley – almost closed off valley with a unique flora, hiker’s paradise on the way to the Lötschen Pass; «Waldhaus» candle hotel withouth electricity.
- Gemmi Pass – formerly a historic pass trail which as an important transport route linked the Cantons of Berne and Valais today is one of a very few passes that are passable on foot in winter.
- BLS Railway experience trail – excititng and informative railway experience trail alon ght north ramp of the Lötschberg Railway, a must for railway enthusiasts and families.
- Pelzmartiga – at Christmas and on New Year’s Day wild figures pass through the village from lunchtime until late evening and play all sorts of pranks on spectators (December/January).
- International husky race – every year it attracts numerous mushers with their huskies toKandersteg (January).
- Kandersteg Cross-country Ski Race – the classic among cross-country ski races (half marathon 21km) (February).
- Belle Epoque Week Kandersteg – For one week, Kandersteg brings to life the era of the Belle Epoque with sports and social events (January).
- Oberländer Bike Party & Nordic-Walking Event – On two days, various posts have to be visited and stamped by bike or with Nordic Walking poles (June)
- Openair Cinema Blausee – exciting films on a 17-meter screen against a breathtaking backdrop (June / July)
- Alpcher – Culinary mountain tour – regional specialties and musical entertainments define this hike (August)