From the 3135 meter-high viewing platform accessible year-round, views extend over the Gorner Glacier to Monte Rosa with its ten snow-capped summits and notorious Matterhorn. Sunsets viewed from the "3100 Kulmhotel Gornergrat" are truly remarkable.
World-renowned are views of the mighty Matterhorn mirrored in the lake on a day free of wind. Not to speak of numerous bike and hiking routes in all directions, topped by an alpine path over the glacier that leads to the new SAC Monte-Rosa hut.
- Gorner Gorge – a footpath over narrow bridges and up steps as well as a via ferrata (fixed-rope route) leads through this deep ravine
- Zermatlantis – an insight into Zermatt’s history at the Matterhorn Museum
- Sunnegga – a gentle walk from the Alp to the gourmet hamlet of Findeln
- Lake Riffel – peaceful mountain idyll. The reflection of Matterhorn in the lake is a sight to behold
- Rothorn – view of the highest mountains in the Valais Alps
Route: Zermatt – Gornergrat
Distance: 10 km
Duration: 33 min / return journey 44 min
Train from Brig/Visp to Zermatt, with the cog railway to the Gorner ridge
View: Over Monte Rosa (Dufourspitze) to the Matterhorn, Dent Blanche and Weisshorn, as well as Mattertal valley and Bernese Alps
Attractions: Views over the Monte Rosa glaciers, Matterhorn reflections in the Riffelsee lake, trips with the Gornergrat cog railway to 3089 meter altitude
Culinary aspects: Refined restaurant with views over Monte Rosa, cheese and Rösti specialities, self-service restaurant
Overnight stays: 22 rooms, each named after a giant (4000 m) peak, with room numbers corresponding to the respective mountain heights.
Groups: Restaurant 100, self-service 150, terrace 80 places, Shopping Mall
Winter: In the Zermatt winter sports region, toboggan run Rotenboden – Riffelberg, with Gornergrat railway travelling year round
Summer: hiking trails, bike routes
Special comments: Climate trail (Audioguide) Zermatt – Rotenboden – Monte Rosa SAC Hut