Pontresina enjoys a sunny, sheltered location at the entrance to the Val Bernina (Berninatal) on a south-west facing terrace just 7 km from St. Moritz. The first hotels for guests were built as early as the 19th century. The charm of this medium-sized resort lies in the architectural blend of fine old Engadine houses with their typical “sgraffito” (decorated walls) from the 17/18th centuries and the elegant hotels in Belle Epoque style. A modern conference centre completes the village’s infrastructure.
The mountain pass and, since the early 20th century, the Bernina railway line lead over the 2330 m high Bernina Pass towards Italy. At sightseeing speed, the Bernina Express passes the massive Morteratsch Glacier. From the Ospizio Bernina station there is a lovely view over the mountain lakes of Lago Nero and Lago Bianco. From the Alp Grüm stop, you can see a wide view as far as the Puschlav valley in southern Grisons.
580 kilometers of hiking trails open the impressive mountain world up to the highest peaks in the eastern Alps, the Piz Palü and the Piz Bernina. They lead to attractive destinations such as the romantic wilderness of Val Roseg and the panoramic mountain Muottas Muragl, which offers a breathtaking view over the entire lake district. 400 kilometers of bike paths, a fixed rope park, two exciting Via Ferrata routes, a modern congress and cultural center and a lively new adventure pool complement the variety of scenic impressions.
Muitas áreas de esqui atraem entusiastas de esportes de inverno: a área de esqui em Piz Lagalb (2.959m), com seus espaços primorosos de neve profunda, é desafiadora. Diavolezza (2.973m), com seus 3 teleféricos e 9km de pistas, é bastante popular, devido ao grau não tão difícil de dificuldade de suas descidas, e excelentes vistas. As outras áreas de esqui de Engadina, oferecendo mais de 50 teleféricos e cerca de 350km de pistas, são facilmente alcançadas por carro, ônibus ou trem.
Dos 200km de pistas de esqui nórdico, a pista de elevada altitude da Diavolezza, com 12 km de comprimento, é particularmente notável. Cerca de 45 km de trilhas de inverno recebem cuidado especial em volta de Pontresina. O Caminho dos Filósofos vai de Muottas Muragl até Val Muragl, voltando então ao ponto de partida e fechando o circuito.
- Diavolezza – panorama mountain with mountain restaurant at 3000 m, skiing area, high-altitude cross-country track, glacier walks and via ferrata climb.
- Rosegtal (Val Roseg) – car-free valley, delightful route for walking, biking or cross-country skiing, trips by horse-drawn carriage or sledge through beautiful larch woods to the Hotel Roseg Gletscher, fantastic view of the peaks and glaciers of the Bernina range.
- Bernina railway line – panoramic narrow-gauge route across the Bernina, the highest mountain railway pass in Europe, reaching 2253 m, into the Puschlav valley in south Grisons and over the Italian border into the Veltlin (Valtellina).
- Pontresina high-rope challenge course – the facility is being constructed and will be operated by Go Vertical from Pontresina. Various levels of difficulty ensure challenges for different levels of ability. The facility is suitable for children of 4 years of age and over, adults, families, clubs, schools and event groups – in short, for everyone who takes pleasure in the joy of exercise.
- Muottas Muragl – a funicular railway takes you up to the 2453 m peak for walking and panoramic views, between Samedan and Pontresina. Wonderful views over the lakes of the Upper Engadine.
- Museum Alpin in Pontresina – all about the development of summer and winter tourism, hunting, wildlife and the environment, with collection of minerals.
- Terratrembel – Winter party with outstanding live music (February)
- Ice Climbing Festival Pontresina (February)
- BSI Engadine Festival - Classical music festival of the highest level (August)
- Swiss Iron Trail – Hardest and highest one-stage trail race in the Alps (August)
- Voices on Top – Prominent voices, powerful sound: a musical event that gets under the skin (October).