The beautiful scenery in the canton of Obwalden, with the emerald green Lake Lungern, appeals to walkers, water sports fans and lovers of nature and in winter provides a family-friendly skiing area.
The mountain village of Lungern offers recuperation, sports activities and adventure in the midst of the imposing mountain chains and incomparable scenery.
In summer a dense network of hiking trails and interesting themed routes invite the visitor to explore the village and its surroundings on foot or on a mountainbike. One of the most popular hiking and bicyle trails is the loop aound the lake.
The nature path, with 40 information signs along a beautiful 2.5 km long woodland walk, tells you interesting facts about the interplay between animals and plants and about the long-gone Ice Age. Popular with families is the walk, only 30 minutes from the station in Lungern, to the Chäppeli mountain restaurant with its children’s playground and pet’s corner.
The lake at Lungern, where the water is of drinking quality and up to 23 degrees, is perfect for bathing, and also has a small swimming pool area with a fine sandy beach and a long water slide. The mountain lake, formed by a dam, is popular with pedalo riders, fishermen and, thanks to reliable winds, with yachtsmen (there is a sailing school) and windsurfers.
As pistas, próprias para a família, da área panorâmica de Lungern-Schönbüel chegam a 2.011m. Se você tem vontade experimentar alguns tipos de atividades menos comuns na neve, é só comprar o Snow Fun Card, que inclui o empréstimo de 20 tipos diferentes de equipamento de diversão, como, por exemplo, aqueles voltados para o snowtubing, skwal e ski fox. Entusiastas de trenó podem se entreter na pista de trenó, de 4km de comprimento, que vai desde Schönbüel até a estação intermediária. Há trilhas muito bem preparadas para praticantes de caminhada de inverno e para os usuários de raquetes de neve.
- Dundelsbach – the unique two-tier waterfall at the southern end of the lake enjoys a nationally protected status.
- Güpfi – a vantage point at 2,043 meters - offers an impressive panoramic view of the magnificent landscape of Obwalden and the snow-clad peaks of the Bernese Oberland.
- Butterfly Path – circular walk (2.5 hrs) or valley walk (3 to 4 hrs) through flower-filled pastures with a unique range of butterflies.
- Lungern Lake – fishing paradise in summer and in winter.
- Indoor shooting centre at Brünig – underground shooting range built into the cliff and covering over 10,000 m2. As well as the classic shooting disciplines, there is also shooting here with bow and arrow, darts or blowpipe.
- Brünigbahn – the narrow-gauge railway line leads from Interlaken via Brienz and the Brünig Pass (1002 m) on to Lucerne and Engelberg, a voyage of adventure that not only railway enthusiasts will love.
- "Sbrinz-Route" – long-distance footpath named after the Central Swiss hard cheese, following the old trading route from Alpnachstad via the Brünig, Grimsel and Gries passes into the Val Formazza in Italy, as far as Domodossola. Salt and hard cheeses were important trading goods until the second half of the 19th century.
- Brünig-Schwinget – traditional "Hosenlupf" Swiss wrestling competition (since 1904), held in a sawmill, for the coveted Brünig wreath (end of July).
- Lake Night Festival – Popular festival on the Lungen Lake Promenade with spectacular fireworks (July).
- Älplerchilbi – the end of summer in the Alps is celebrated with a big Älplerchilbi (alpine farmer’s fair) (October).