Beckenried is the ideal starting point for excursions round Lake Lucerne. Regular boats on the lake and the car-ferry from Beckenried-Gersau make it easy to reach tourist destinations in the region, including the majestic Rigi mountain on the opposite shore of the lake.
The longest cable-car in Central Switzerland takes you from the centre of the village of Beckenried up to the hiking and biking area of Klewenalp-Stockhütte. At the top station of the Klewenalp cable-car (1593 m) is a large children’s playground, a pet’s zoo and a “marmot park”. You can spend the night in the mountain inn or, for a special adventure, in a tepee camp. A panoramic circular walk offers excellent views of the surrounding scenery.
The Klewenalp-Seelisberg family safari is particularly popular, involving several rides on little railways and the post bus. After travelling up to the Klewenalp, the circular tour takes about 1.5 hours on foot through meadows and pine forests to the Stockhütte. Then you can rest on the cable-car down to Emmetten. The tour continues by post bus to Seelisberg and then by funicular railway and boat back to Beckenried.
The little resort of Seelisberg (800 m) is like a peninsula, surrounded by Lake Lucerne, with beautiful views of the lake and mountains. A nostalgic funicular railway leads from Treib on the lakeside (with a boat stop and bathing beach) up to the village. The little lake or "Seeli" which gives the village its name is a little mountain lake near the village, ideal for bathing or camping fun.
Between Beckenried and Seelisberg is the resort of Emmetten (774 m). Old and young will enjoy the playgrounds and a wildlife-spotting footpath. A cable-car gives access to the pre-alpine hiking area around the Stockhütte (1279 m) and on the Niederbauen (1812 m), which is particularly popular with hang-gliders.
A área de esqui de Klewenalp-Stockhütte, apropriada para famílias, oferece dez teleféricos e 30 km de pistas para as práticas de esqui e snowboard, em vários graus de dificuldade, entre 1.600 e aproximadamente 2.000m. De Klewenalp, com sua escola de esqui, creche e 15 km de trilhas para caminhada, parte a maior pista de trenó da Suíça Central, com 9 km de comprimento e uma diferença de altitude de 850 m, atravessando Stockhütte e chegando até Emmetten.
- Klewenalp-Seelisberg family safari – a popular walk for young and old, including cable-car, post bus and boat rides.
- Alpenwanderung – by cable car to the Alpine Beckenried-Klewenalp hike and hike to Gitschenen, cable car to Isenthal and bus to Isleten, from where a delightful boat ride back to Beckenried makes for a grand finale.
- Emmetten wildlife-spotting footpath – information notices along the 11 km long path tell you interesting things about the fauna on the Oberbauenstock. A guided tour at dawn increases the probability of observing wild animals such as red deer, chamois, ibex, marmots or eagles.
- Weg der Schweiz (Swiss Path) – themed walk about the history of Switzerland going round the southern part of Lake Lucerne: starting from the Rütli meadow – birthplace of the Swiss Federation – the path leads via Seelisberg along the Urnersee.
- Lake Lucerne – historic steamers and launches invite you to discover the landscape from the water.
- Lucerne – it is only a 75-minute boat ride from Beckenried to Central Switzerland’s main tourist and shopping centre in Lucerne.
- Carnival in Beckenried - Carnival celebrations with a procession through the streets (February).
- Country Alpine Open-Air Klewenalp – modern and traditional country music played against a fantastic mountain backdrop (July).
- Yodelling service in the mountain chapel on the Klewenalp – every second Sunday (summer).
- Nidwalden “Alpchäs Märcht” in Beckenried – market with regional cheeses and speciality meats, children’s entertainment (November).