The Valais resort of Morgins is located at about 1300 m in the valley of the same name, a side valley of the Val d'Illiez in Lower Valais, directly on the border with France. The road leads from Monthey in the Rhone valley through the Val d'Illiez to Troistorrents and from there in countless tight bends up to the upland valley of Morgins (15 km from Monthey). The border pass of Pas de Morgins, a short ridge with a pretty mountain lake, leads into the Val d'Abondance in France.
In summer there is an extensive network of footpaths with several themed walks such as the Planets, Woodland, Bridges or Bee Discovery Paths. On the walk from the Val de Morgins to the Val d'Illiez, the Dents-du-Midi and the Mont Blanc massif are the main features of the panorama. Plant lovers will find many species here that are rare in Switzerland, including orchids. Other sports available are riding, tennis, grass karting, an open-air pool, mini-golf in the village centre and archery.
There are 53 downhill runs for mountain bikers to enjoy in the “Portes du Soleil” region. There are 650 km of bike routes and several free-riding slopes in the Franco-Swiss Bike Park. The loop up to the viewing point of the Pointe des Mossettes on the way from the Val de Morgins to Champéry gives a good view over this bikers’ territory.
A região de esportes de inverno de 400 quilômetros quadrados das "Portes du Soleil" compreende doze resorts, 650 km de pistas e 214 km de rotas de esqui nórdico. Há 195 bondes e teleféricos na região, que podem ser usados com um único passe de esqui, dando acesso a descidas com uma média entre 1.000 e 2.466 metros de altitude. Praticantes de esqui nórdico encontrarão 20 km de pistas, incluindo a popular pista de elevada altitude em volta do Lago de Morgins.
Outras atividades de inverno em Morgins incluem passeios de trenó puxado por cavalos, passeios de trenó puxado por cachorros, trilhas com raquetes de neve, uma rota de gelo natural (iluminada à noite) e kart na neve.
- Les Portes du Soleil – a huge Franco-Swiss winter sports region with 650 km of slopes at an average altitude of between 1000 and 2466 metres and 195 cable-cars.
- Vallon de They – the romantic valley can be reached on foot from Morgins and has paths for leisurely walks along the mountain brook and an open air theme trail in pristine nature (e.g. bridge path, bee trail, planet trail).
- Home of the ski stars – many alpine skiing champions come from Morgins: Didier Défago (Alpine Ski), Yannick Ecoeur (Ski Tours), Joël Gaspoz (Alpine Ski), Martial Donnet (Alpine Ski).
- Alpine huts with magnificent panoramas – a variety of huts around Morgins offer not only regional delicacies on their menu, but also breathtaking views of Dents du Midi.
- The Rock the Pistes Festival – free concerts on the pistes of Portes du Soleil (March).
- Ceremony of the Toupins de Morgins – traditional solstice festival with a gathering for water, milk and wine (June and December).
- Salon de la Santé par les Plantes – meeting place for nature lovers (July).
- Folklore markets – merchants, farmers, bars, dining, bingo and traditional entertainment (every Saturday from mid-July to mid-August).
- Alpabzug – the cows come down from the mountain pastures, then there are music and regional culinary delights to enjoy (October).
- "C'est l'Hiver! Morgins Festival" – season celebration with concerts (December).