The region first gained in importance with the construction of the Lukmanier and Oberalp passes. The Oberalp Pass which leads to Andermatt at the foot of the Gotthard is an ideal starting point for tours on foot or by bike – for example, to the idyllic Tomasee lake, which, among the various source tributaries, is considered as the official source of the Anterior Rhine. This is where the "Veloland Schweiz" Rhine Route begins.
As well as the source of the Rhine, the monastery in Disentis is of great importance. The monastery of St. Martin, founded in the 8th century, is one of the oldest Benedictine monasteries in Europe. The Baroque collegiate church, dating from 1712, with its two onion-domed towers and rich stucco work and painted ceilings is one of the most important sacred buildings in Grisons.
There are over 350 km of footpaths around the two resorts. As well as the walk to the source of the Rhine and the Alp Transit Tunnel path, the high alpine "Senda Sursilvana" path (about 100 km from the Oberalp Pass to Chur) is one of the highlights for hikers in the region. The 9-hole golf course in Sedrun is the only place in Switzerland where you can hit your ball over the Rhine. All over the region, sparkling treasures may come to light (search for minerals).
As duas áreas de esqui, Disentis e Sedrun – esta última, parte do Gotthard Oberalp Arena –, oferecem 200 km de pistas. Estas pistas alargadas são objeto de afeto especial das famílias, enquanto praticantes de snowboard fazem sua estada no parque de diversos e na halfpipe valer cada centavo. Há diversão para dar e vender nos 3,5 km da corrida de trenó da área de esqui principal de Sedrun. À noite, o centro de bem-estar Aqua Wellness Oasis "Bogn Sedrun" é sempre um lugar convidativo para relaxar. Disentis é conhecida como um paraíso de circuitos, de estilo livre e de rotas fora das pistas, com 60 km de pistas com neve garantida, elevadas a quase 3.000m. A região de Disentis/Sedrun também possui mais de 30 km de pistas variadas para esqui nórdico.
- Disentis Monastery – the Benedictine monastery, founded in about 720, is one of the oldest in Europe. Richly decorated Baroque collegiate church and monastery museum.
- Tomasee, source of the Rhine - the Oberalp Pass is the ideal starting point for the hike to the Tomasee, source of the Anterior Rhine and regarded as the official source of the Rhine.
- Panning for gold – the biggest nugget of gold in Switzerland was found in the upper Rhine near Disentis. Visitors can book day or half-day excursions including the equipment for panning for gold.
- Bogn Sedrun – pamper your body and soul in the Aqua Wellness Oasis, with several pools, including a Roman bath, tropical showers, saunas and an extensive vitality programme.
- Glacier Express – the famous Glacier Express goes from Zermatt in the Valais via Disentis and Sedrun to Davos and St. Moritz.
- Surselva Marathon – a tricky cross-country skiing marathon, sometimes called the “Little Engadine Marathon” (January).