Awarded "Historic Hotel of 2007" for "using means that show care and consideration for building structures, typology and furnishings worth preserving". Opened in 1873, renovated and supplemented with Swiss "Typenmöbel" furniture in 2005. Guests have always included artists; Hermann Hesse wrote "Steppenwolf" here. Reception with original key hooks and locking system.
Historic hotel of the year 2007
This distinction honours "the careful use of resources used for the renovation, and the respect for the building structure, the typology and the furnishings worth preserving. It also appreciates the contemporary additions, which integrate some fresh creativity, and above all the enthusiasm of the managers, which marks the life and soul of the historic town hotel". In 1872, Ernst Krafft replaced three medieval worker’s dwellings with a hotel spreading over four floors and seven axes on the shores of the Kleinbasler [Lesser Basel] Rhine River. One of the hotel's famous guests was Hermann Hesse, who wrote the novel “Steppenwolf” while staying here. The hotel was renovated and extended in 1958, and in the year 2002 it was bought by the current tenant, Franz-Xaver Leonhardt. In 2003, the Edith Maryon Foundation stepped in and from 2004 to 2006 all the rooms were renovated and equipped with Swiss "Typenmöbel" furniture from the 1950's.