The city park is the largest contiguous area in the St.Gallen inner city area.
It used to be the garden for the house at 25 Rorschach street. In 1880 the park underwent a major transformation when the museum was built. On the east side of the museum the botanical garden was created with its austere basic forms and this was later moved to the east of the city.
The aviary association constructed an octagonal enclosure in the middle of the park. Currently, the city park serves as an attractive green space for the adjoining St.Gallen theatre.