Castle and Collegiate Church
These architectural buildings date back to the 12th century, the Château now being the seat of local government. Beautiful cloisters and magnificent view from Esplanade de la Collégiale.
The Château is one of the high points of a visit to Neuchâtel (which, by the way, means "new castle", from the Latin "novum castellum"). By following the circular path at the base of the outer walls, you get a general idea of the different parts of the building erected around a large courtyard and a smaller one, to the south. It can be accessed from Rue de la Collégiale or the cloisters.
The construction of the Church began at the end of the 12th century and was completed in 1276. Facing the gates of the Château, the three apses are striking by the beauty of their Roman design. Only the south clock tower is ancient, the spire and the north tower being built in 1869.
2 to 4 hours (half day)
Groups, Individual, Couples
Group & pricing information
1 - 50