This splendid building on the market square was built in various stages between the 16th and 19th centuries and is still today the seat of the government and Parliament of the canton of Basel City.
Particularly worth seeing at the town hall are the council chambers, the beautiful inner courtyard, the romantic arcades and the tower. It was built after the great earthquake as a replacement for the former seat of government. After Basel’s accession to the Confederation the front part of the town hall was replaced with a prestigious new building. The battlements were adorned with the arms of the 12 cantons that constituted the Confederation. At the beginning of the 17th century the town hall was expanded and artist Hans Bock decorated its facade with painted trompe. In 1900, the wing on the extreme left and the tower on the right were added to the town hall.