The Baden city tower stands above the northern end of the Oberstadt (upper town) and is the only defensive tower in the medieval fortifications that is still in existence.
The tower was built in the second half of the 15th century in two stages. With its coloured glazed tiles in the city colours of white, red and black, the Baden City Tower is the local landmark and one of Switzerland’s most impressive medieval towers. It is a Swiss listed site. From 1846 to 1984, the tower was used as the district jail.
In 2008/09 the plasterwork was completely replaced with a purely mineral plaster coating and the colour scheme historically adapted. Today, the City Tower has no fixed use but can be visited as part of a guided city tour. For further information please contact Info Baden.