The Africa Museum in Zug was opened in 1906 and this was brought about by the establishment in Zug of a branch of St. Peter Claver Sodality in 1905.
Today's collection consists of exhibits from Central Africa, Congo, Angola, Cameroon and other African countries. Items on show include ancestral figures, musical instruments, jewellery and stuffed African animals as well as masks and fetishes made by Bantu peoples. The founder, Maria Theresia Ledochowska (1863-1922), saw it as her life's work to systematically enlighten the European population about the problems of Africa. These interesting objects from Africa were collected with precisely this educational and promotional goal in mind.