The well-preserved castle of Neuchâtel, which is over 1,000 years old and from which the city gets its name, towers above the small city of Neuchâtel. From here, you have the best view for miles.
The castle, which formerly belonged to the Kingdom of Burgundy, passed through the hands of various aristocratic families and even the Prussians before coming into the possession of the Canton of Neuchâtel, when it became the seat of government. The canton’s parliament, the Grand Council, can also be found here.
The mighty castle’s towers were at times used as dungeons, but also as residential towers, and some of these date back to before 1000 AD. The richly decorated facade of the south wing is built in the Romanesque style. Next to the castle, the Romanesque-Gothic church of Notre-Dame with its cloister is well worth a visit. The castle and collegiate church form a single architectural unit. The castle is surrounded by gardens, and the forecourt offers a wonderful panoramic view of the city and lake.
|Suitable for children with age||
Groups, Individual, Couples