At the end of the 15th century, the town of Zug came into a certain amount of wealth when the Swiss became victors in the Burgundian Wars and came away with an abundance of spoils. A town hall was constructed from 1505 to 1509 in the late Gothic style.
The ground floor was once used as a market hall. Over the years, the first and second floors were adapted to their present use as council chambers and courthouse. The premises are still being used by the local community and include the town hall. The top floor houses the council chambers, the Gothic Room. This is a paneled room with elaborately carved motifs. There is a relief above the door themed «Christ before Pilate» with Pilate washing his hands «in innocence». Perhaps an indication that public officials should not try to escape their responsibilities.