The locals still think of the ruins as their own Stein Castle. Standing majestically over Baden, it offers a magnificent view of the Old Town.
The origins of the castle go back to the year 1000. After the Kyburg family, the Habsburgs inherited the castle in 1263.
When the Aargau was conquered by the Old Swiss Confederacy in 1415, the castle went up in flames. From 1658 to 1670, the site was once again expanded substantially by the people of Baden. During the second Battle of Villmergen in 1712, Baden was forced to demolish the castle under pressure from the victorious reformed cantons of Zurich and Bern. To the humiliation of the Catholic town of Baden, the reformed church by today's Bahnhofplatz was built from the stones of the castle.
The shortest footpath leads via St. Niklausstiege to what is probably the most beautiful panoramic view of the Old Town and the surrounding vineyards.
Families, Groups, Individual, Couples