Walser Settlement St. Martin in the Calfeisental Valley
The free Walsers settled in the Calfeisen Valley as early as the 14th Century. The church of St. Martin was first mentioned in the annals of 1432.
The parish may have counted around 100 souls in those days.
Because the climate became more austere, the Walsers abandoned the settlement in 1652. It was henceforth only used as a "Maiensäss" (an Alpine dairy farm in the mountains). In 1955 the little church was renovated and in 1975 the former owner of the settlement, Klemens Nigg, reconstructed the settlement.
St. Martin is open daily from May to the end of October.
May - October
4 to 8 hours (full day)
Groups, Individual, Couples
Group & pricing information
1 - 50