The journey in what has been dubbed the world’s slowest express train takes travellers across the Alps within roughly eight hours, passing through 91 tunnels and over 291 bridges.
The Glacier Express offers a journey for the senses – from Engadine right to the Matterhorn. On its relaxing drive from dazzling St. Moritz to equally sophisticated Zermatt, the Glacier Express delights travellers with scenic attractions and technical state-of-the-art achievements. With its overhight panoramic windows, the Glacier Express opens up unobstructed views of unique landscapes.
New: Excellence Class
A rail journey through the Swiss Alps has never been so luxurious. With guaranteed window seats, an exclusive bar, on-board entertainment, a concierge service and personal travel guides, the Glacier Express Excellence Class is setting new standards. The journey between St. Moritz and Zermatt is a feast for the senses: while the spectacular landscape passes by outside, guests are served champagne and amuse-bouches – followed by an exquisite five-course meal with accompanying wine.
With this new service, the Glacier Express offers one of the most exclusive rolling touristic highlights in Switzerland. Reservations for the most sought-after seats in Switzerland can be booked at glacierexpress.ch.
Facts Glacier Express
|Route:||Zermatt – St. Moritz or vice versa|
|Duration:||8 h 03 min|
- Matterhorn glacier paradise – a view of French, Italian and Swiss mountain giants from a vantage point of almost 4000 m
- Gornergrat – a view onto the Matterhorn and 28 other four-thousand-meter-peaks from a vantage point of 3131 m
- Rhine Gorge – Exploring the «Grand Canyon» of Switzerland between Ilanz and Reichenau on foot, by bike or by rafting boat
- Lake Sils – at 1800 m, Europe’s highest altitude regular scheduled passenger boat service
- Corvatsch – the eastern Alpine region’s highest altitude summit station at 3303 m. A paradise for skiers and hikers
Food & Beverages
- Food served at passenger’s seat
- 1st and 2nd class: Dish of the day (CHF 34) / 3-course menu (CHF 47) / à la carte
- Catering is available on the panorama trains and can be booked together with seat reservation
This route is fully covered by the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and GA travelcard.
Book Swiss Travel System tickets
Apart from a valid ticket, a seat reservation is required (max. 90 days in advance). In addition, the train is subject to surcharge:
|23.01. – 07.05.2021||08.05. – 24.10.2021|
|Long sections||CHF 39.00||CHF 49.00|
|Short sections*||CHF 29.00||CHF 39.00|
*short sections are:
- St. Moritz – Chur – St. Moritz
- Chur – Andermatt – Chur
- Andermatt – Brig – Andermatt
- Brig – Zermatt – Brig
Fascinating and comprehensive information around the Glacier Express, featuring highlights and relevant facts and figures, can be downloaded here: